How HIPPY Works
- Great Potentials Foundation holds the contract for HIPPY NZ and oversees the funding, programme delivery and management of local HIPPY sites.
- Each Site is staffed by a HIPPY coordinator and a team of Tutors.
- HIPPY Tutors are past or current parents participating in the programme who live in the local community. Tutors are paid employees and receive training.
- Parents and children enrol in the programme in the year before the child commences formal school and participate in the programme for 2 years.
- Tutors maintain regular contact with parents, supporting them in the family’s home as they work through the programme.
- Parents are encouraged to participate in fortnightly group meetings which are facilitated by the site Coordinator with the assistance of their Tutors.
- The first year of HIPPY provides children with activities which support pre-literacy and pre-numeracy skills.
- The second year extends these activities and provides additional information about children’s learning and development for parents and carers.
- Role-play is used by home tutors to facilitate parental understanding of how to do the activities.
2014 Auntsfield 4 Legged Race
The 2014 Auntsfield 4 Legged Race is coming up on Saturday, 29th March in Clevedon.
This year, an exciting new event will be added to the line up – The 4 Legged Ramble. For more information, and to register head to The 4 Legged Race website.
2012-2013 Annual Report
Follow the link to read Dame Lesley Max’s report from Great Potentials’ Annual Report 2012-2013:
For the full Annual Report 2012-2013, follow the link below:
Coroner’s report on Kahui twins’ deaths – Dame Lesley speaks on Radio NZ National
25 July 2012
The coroner’s report on the deaths of the three-month-old Kahui twins has been released. Simon Moore SC, Crown Solicitor for Auckland, Patrick Kelly, Auckland Starship Pediatrician and Clinical Director of the Child Protection Team and Great Potentials CEO, Dame Lesley Max, speak with Kathryn Ryan on Nine to Noon. Listen to the audio here (Dame Lesley starts at 21 mins).